Love Family, Friends, Camping, Traveling, Crocheting, and way too much to mention here!

Love Family, Friends, Camping, Traveling, Crocheting, and way too much to mention here!
Love Family, Friends, Camping, Traveling, Crocheting, and way too much to mention here!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Threaders, afghans and puzzles, Oh My!


I have struggled with using regular threaders and thin wire that I have bent in the middle to use as a threader but I think I have found an ideal threader.  The only thing it wouldn't thread is a regular sewing needle.

I am able to thread 4-ply yarn, crochet thread, and I even repaired this bag when the ribbon came unthreaded.  


It is a Floss Threader for my bridge work.  It is called GUM Eez-Thru Floss Threader.  There are probably other brands out there. These are made in the USA!


They even thread seed beads on elastic thread.  See top threading on pic below.  The other beads are small also!


Let me know what you think if you try one out!  I'm sorry the pictures aren't clearer but the threaders are blue in the pictures.








I have this afghan started for one of my granddaughters.  I planned to give it to her for Christmas but looks like it might be done for her birthday.  The colors below are what I started with and then decided it was going to be too small with just 4 colors.  I then picked up the hot pink you see in the afghan at the left.  I am thinking of adding a bright green of some sort for the 6th color.  What do you think of the "jewel" colors with the pastels?  Probably can't get the true feel until I add a jewel colored green in there.

















And the motifs on the left are going into an afghan I am making for the NICU at Hurley Hospital in Flint, MI.  We have formed a group on FB if you are interested in helping these babies and their families.
Wonderful things for Hurley NICU babies and their families.



I have been working on a pattern for the snowflakes you see below.  I really am in awe of people that write patterns all the time.  It is not an easy thing to do.   But I do like my creation and would like to share it with others.  It is a basic pattern that I added rows and/or changed just the last row to make it fancier.  Again, my love of crocheted snowflakes was flamed by Snowcatcher.  She has also been keeping me spellbound  weekly with the story of an accident she and her children were in years ago that she has written.       


My husband got a 3D puzzle for Christmas from one of our sons.  It was interesting putting it together and then during the inauguration they kept showing the Capital Building and it looked just like ours!!



And then we did a puzzle he got for Christmas called Times Square.  It was over 3 feet long!




7 comments:

  1. a very clever idea with the threader Brenda! I tried working with beads in my crochet a while ago but bought far too small...so I just picked up some larger beads this week and am going to try again, and this looks like the ideal solution to get those beads onto my crochet thread! thank you. love and prayers, Cara Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara. I hope they work out for you for the small beads. The beads I used the threader on were tiny! Let me know!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to try the beading idea, too, although I think the folder wire would work better than the glued thread ends I've been trying to use... :)

    I think your snowflakes (and afghan) are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Deborah, I think you would like the floss threader the best but not everyone has them in their medicine cabinet like I do. I would think the thin wire would work better than the glued thread.

      And thanks for the compliments on the snowflakes and afghans. The keep me out of trouble but what was I thinking to have 2 afghans going at the same time?

      Delete
  3. I don't think a bright green will keep the jeweled tones feel of the ghan. Maybe a different shade of purple or pink. Love the look of the ghan with the different sizes, very interesting. Good luck getting it done in time for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandy. I think you are right. And she loves purple and pink(typical girl) so either of those colors would work. I need to pull the afghan back out and see what I would want. I have a 50% off at Joanne's that is itching to be used.

    And I went and followed both of your blogs. Are you going to be only doing the newest blog or do you plan on keeping both? I wish you had a follow by email option on both. I like getting the emails, easier for me to follow my fav blogs.

    ReplyDelete