Love Family, Friends, Camping, Traveling, Crocheting, and way too much to mention here!

Love Family, Friends, Camping, Traveling, Crocheting, and way too much to mention here!
Love Family, Friends, Camping, Traveling, Crocheting, and way too much to mention here!

Friday, March 29, 2013

New stitches learned this week

New stitches that I learned recently.


The one that really blew my mind is the Extended single crochet stitch


"Extended single crochet stitches (exsc) are very similar to single crochet stitches, but as the name suggests, they are extended to be slightly taller."

I found this on Crochet Spot's blog.  


extended single crochet
exsc -extended single crochet extended crochet stitch
 or 
video by Moogly
  

I used this new stitch on a couple things I was working on.  It looks a lot like a double crochet but a little shorter and less bulk.  And less yarn!  




I used it at the bottom of a skirt I crocheted for an 18" doll.  I liked that is was less bulky, did not have the gaps that a row of dc would have and it used less yarn.  If you count from the bottom of the skirt the exsc is the bottom 3 rows and from there on up were the dc rows.  A slight difference but if I make this skirt again I will use all exsc.


I used it on the afghan I am working on.  The blue that I bought recently was quite a bit bulkier than the other yarns I used.  Using a dc made with the blue turned out way too big so I did it in the extended sc and they fit up together pretty good.  I think it is one of those times that only the person making the item will even notice.  Unless you share it with the blogging community.  ;)






And then low and behold just after that I found another one I had heard of, the  shallow sc.  I haven't tried this one yet but thinking it will work as an edging or maybe in place of a slip stitch in some patterns.  


Free Crochet Alphabet by Moogly! #crochet

And this isn't a new stitch but I am loving these new patterns from Moogly for the entire alphabet.  I used the J for a bookmark for one of my granddaughters which I forgot to take a picture of but I will be using it again.







And I absolutly love this video from TXCr1cket that shows a different way to turn at end of dc row.  I have to admit at this time I haven't tried it but plan to use it on my next hexagon for the afghan which doesn't turn but you traditionally use a chain 3 at the beginning of each round.




And last but not least, finishing off for amiguruamis    Quote from Little Yarn Friends, "This tutorial will be beneficial to those 
who love making amigurumis and who are particular about
 completing each project nicely and neatly. "









No comments:

Post a Comment